Overland Park, a suburb of Kansas City, Missouri, is located southeast of the downtown area and is home to around 175,000 residents. The town has a lot to recommend it. Money magazine rated it among the best place to live in the United States in 2010 and one of the best places to raise your kids in 2009. The city also boasts a number of scenic and challenging golf courses.
Overland Park Golf Courses
Overland Park is home to more than a dozen golf courses, and golfing season here lasts from mid-April through October, sometimes longer depending on the weather. Some of the best Overland Park golf courses are outlined below:
- Deer Creek Golf Club - Deer Creek Golf Club, designed by renowned golf architect, Robert Trent Jones Jr., is one of the best – and the most challenging – golf courses in the greater Kansas City area. Even Jones has called the 18-hole, par 72, 6,811-yard course one of the best courses he ever designed. Facilities at Deer Creek include a pro shop and a banquet hall.
- St. Andrews Golf Course - A part of the Overland Park City park system, St. Andrews golf course is an 18-hole, tree-lined course, designed to be challenging to both experienced and beginning players. Facilities at St. Andrews include a lighted driving range, a full service restaurant and snack bar, a golf shop and a banquet hall.
- Nicklaus Golf Club at LionsGate - One of the premier golf courses in the Kansas City area, the Nicklaus Golf Club at LionsGate features an 18-hole, championship golf course designed by golf legend, Jack Nicklaus. Facilities at the private club include a new 21,000-square foot clubhouse, tennis courts, an outdoor swimming pool, lockers rooms and multiple restaurants.
- Sykes/Lady Overland Park Golf Club - Owned and operated by the City of Overland Park, Sykes/Lady Overland Park Golf Club is one of the most popular – and affordable – of Overland Park’s golf courses. The club includes 27 regulation holes and a nine-hole, par 3 course. Facilities include practice areas, a golf shop and a grill/patio area.
- Milburn Golf & Country Club - One of the oldest and most respected golf clubs in the greater Kansas City area, Milburn Golf and Country Club was founded in 1917. The 18-hole, 7,054-yard course was originally designed in tandem by Chicago golf architect W.B. Langford and Milburn golf pro, Harry Robb. The current course has stayed true to the original design. Facilities at the private club include a dining room, fitness club, outdoor swimming pool, and tennis courts. Milburn, ranked among the top 10 golf courses in Kansas by Golf Digest magazine, has been the site of numerous golf events, including the Kansas City Open (a PGA event) and US Open qualifying rounds.
- Brookridge Golf & Country Club - Located in the heart of Overland Park, Brookridge Golf and Country Club features both an 18-hole, par 71 course and a nine-hole, par 34 executive course. Both of these Overland Park golf courses feature tree-lined fairways and scenic Indian Creek, which meanders through the property. Facilities at Brookridge include a practice area, fitness center, Olympic-size outdoor swimming pool and three restaurants.
Of course, Overland Park isn't the only city in the greater Kansas City area to offer exceptional golf courses. Other top-rated courses in the area include Falcon Ridge Golf Club in Lenexa the Scottish-style Prairie Highlands Golf Course in Olathe and the exclusive HallBrook Golf Club course in Leawood.