Browse Golf Course Homes by City
Olathe, Kansas, a suburb of Kansas City, Missouri, is sandwiched between the Kansas towns of Overland Park to the east and Lenexa to the north. The town of around 125,000 residents is one of the fastest-growing communities in the United States, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, and has been ranked one of the best cities in the United States in which to live by Money magazine. The city is also home to a diverse and challenging collection of golf courses.
Olathe Golf Courses
Kansas City area residents love their golf courses, and the city and surrounding area offer some of the region's best greens and fairways. The central Midwest terrain includes rolling hills, plentiful creeks, natural water features, and scenic prairie grasses. Just a few of the Olathe golf courses that make good use of these conditions are listed below:
- Shadow Glen Golf Club - Rated the number one golf course in the Kansas City area by Golf Digest magazine, Shadow Glen Golf Club offers a challenge to golfers of all skill levels. The course, designed by Donald Ross, opened in 1990 and was immediately named the best new private course in America. Facilities at Shadow Glen include 8 acres of practice space, a clubhouse with more than 100 windows, an indoor waterfall and three dining rooms.
- Prairie Highlands Golf Course - One of the most scenic of Olathe’s golf courses, Prairie Highlands brings the Scottish golf heritage to the Midwest. The 18-hole, par 72, 7,100-yard course has been named one of the "top 50 under $50" golf courses by Golfweek magazine. Opened in 2001, it's also consistently ranked among the best public courses in Kansas. Facilities at Prairie Highlands include a full bar and grill and a practice area.
- Heritage Park Golf Course - Another of the public Olathe golf courses, Heritage Park golf course is one of the area's loveliest, with three lakes and a picturesque creek running through the course. The 7,000-yard, par 71 course alternates tree-lined fairways with traditional links-style holes. In addition to the golf course, Heritage Park features a putting green and a driving range. The course offers a variety of discounts, including senior, junior, after 12:00 noon, after 3:00 p.m., and after 5:00 p.m. discounts.
- Gardner Golf Course - Located in the nearby town of Gardner, Gardner Golf Course is a scenic and affordable, 18-hole, 6,165-yard, par 71 municipal golf course. In addition to the course, Gardner Golf Course complex, which opened in 1988, offers lessons, a pro shop, a driving range and a snack bar.
- Sycamore Ridge Golf Course - Located just outside of Olathe in Spring Hill, Sycamore Ridge Golf Course has won numerous awards. These include being named one of Zagat's best golf courses in the United States and being chosen the number one place to play in Kansas in 2008 by Golf magazine. The scenic,18-hole public course offers a variety of wooded and open holes as well as natural water features. The complex also offers a pro shop and snack bar.
Of course, Olathe isn't the only city in the greater Kansas City area to offer exceptional golf courses. Other top-rated courses in the area include Milburn Golf and Country Club in Overland Park, founded in 1918 and home to PGA's Kansas City Open; Falcon Ridge Golf Club Course in Lenexa, one of the best public courses in the Midwest; and the exclusive Indian Hills Country Club course in Leawood.